Thursday, April 5, 2018

Make it Crafty APRIL Challenge: DEW DROPS!

Happy Thursday everyone! If you haven't seen the news yet....I'M BAAAAAACK!! I'm so thrilled to be a part of the Make it Crafty Inspiration Team again!! Thank you Zoe and the other wonderful ladies on the team for welcoming me back with open arms!!

The new Coloring Challenge for the month of April is Dew Drops. You can link up your creations HERE. Zoe has included a couple of awesome video tutorials on the challenge post to guide you along. Also, if you do a google search on how to color water droplets, you will find a lot of inspiration on the web.

For my card I used the Frangipani Digi Stamp. I printed it on Copic Xpress It Blending Card. I started the dew drops on the leaves so I could start with larger drops. On the leaves, I used a pencil and made an outline of the droplets. I think the key to making them look realistic is to make sure not to do uniform circles. I started off doing circles, but as you will see the ones that look the most realistic are the ones that are more oblong. I then colored the top of the drops dark and went lighter towards the bottom. Next, I added a drop shadow along the bottom of the dew drop using gray markers.
 
Copics: 
Dew Drops and Leaf Color: YG23, YG25, YG17, YG67, G28 
Drop Shadow along bottom of dew drops: C3, C5, C6

I did a little different technique on the flowers since they would require smaller droplets. I actually colored the flowers completely first. Then I came in with my colorless blender marker and lightened circles inside the petals. I had to press the colorless blender into the petals several times to get the areas light enough to make dew drops, but for me that was easier since I was doing two-tone flowers. You can also see my pink marker exploded (top left), but I wasn't about to start over so I fussy cut the image out to make my card.


Now, what really makes the droplets POP and look dimensional are the white highlights! I first lightened the bottom of the droplets with white pencil. I couldn't find my white copic ink so I improvised. I had a white paint marker and just rubbed some of it on a piece of plastic. Next I used a thin paintbrush and added a line and a couple of dots on the top area of the dew drop. As you can see, the white highlights are the key!

Copics for flowers: 
Pink: RV09, RV06, RV02, RV10 
Yellow: Y32, Y21, YR21, YR23, YR24 
Drop Shadow: C3, C1 
Colorless Blender

Here is my completed card! The word Hi is an older chippie that MiC used to carry. I need to restock my Chipboard with all the new stuff!


I hope to see all of you playing along with this challenge! I know it's hard to believe, but all of us on the team have our fears with each challenge Zoe gives us. But I guarantee if you try it, you will find that it is less intimidating the more you get into it. When I look back, I've noticed that my best coloring has come out of these challenges. There are NO failed attempts if you try. You will always learn something from the process! And remember, Zoe and the rest of us are always here to help. All you have to do is ask!!

Have an awesome Thursday! I can't wait to see what you create!

Hugs, 
Rosie